Fool4Thought

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bible Definition of Love.

Been thinking and reflecting recently, have been really upset over a certain issue in my life. Its been bothering me quite a bit. Been asking lots of questions like, God why does this have to happen to me? What are you trying to teach me through this experience? Lord I can't understand what the hell is going on!
After careful thought, I've been reminded about the need to love one another, especially our brothers and sisters in Christ. Its been a struggle because I often use human logic to make sense of their actions and then decide if what has been done was wrong or right. If the person does right to me, I will love the person. Otherwise, he or she is just being a bitch and there is no reason for me to love that person.
Was just doing some reflection and this verse from 1 Corinthians popped up:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs.
1 Corinthians 13:4-5

After reading this verse by written by Paul, I was immediately convicted of the kind of love I have been showing in my own life. Too often my love for a person tends to be self seeking and I can only love when I feel good about the person, or the person has done something good for me or has benefited me in some special way. That's just any normal human's way of loving.
Well, clearly my concept of love is flawed when compared to the standards defined in the bible. Christians are called to love others even when others do not love them first.

God be my strength, Help me to love others the way you have shown love to me when you died on the cross for my sins. Your perfect love displayed when you died on the cross for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home